Power Tools Need a Bench Too


I love benches. I’ve ranted here before about how much I like them, I’ve written essays about my bench design ethic and I’ve been very excited that this winter’s Guild Build is a bench.Though my favored designs usually lean towards the Rouboesque and I’m a big believer in Chris Schwarz’s “the legs should be flush with the front edge” rule, I’ll freely admit that there is no right bench for everyone.Lately, I’ve been reading and re-reading John White’s article on his Wired Workbench from Fine Woodworking. It’s not what I would typically think of when a Workbench is mentioned, but the more I look at this bench for power tools, the more I like it.It incorporates very efficient (and cost effective) clamping, integrated dust control and holds the cords and hoses out of the choice (similar to my boom arm). I think it makes for a very functional power tool bench. I’m very temped to build one myself once I’m done with the Clockwork Workbench, but alas I have no room. Luckily my Dad’s shop is roughly the size of my house, so maybe he’ll make one.
I was hoping to embed the video here, but all Ive been able to do is link to it. Check it out on the Fine Woodworking site. So that Im not without image, heres a photo:
If that bench has wet your appetite, here are a few more recent blog posts about workbenches.Chris’s bench design essay I & II.Kari has a recent post about the benches of WIA11.Marc is building a split top Roubo with the Wood Whisperer Guild.Vic is posting all the time about his Split Top Guild Bench build.Shannon’s now classic Roubo build.Schwarz’s Petite Roubo Talk.My Petite Workbenches.Marc’s build or buy postKari’s joinery benchShannon’s joinery benchMorton’s Sourcing the LumberMy bench build postsI’m sure I’ve missed many a good post, so if you have a post about a work bench, or know of one, please share it in the comments.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment